Sunday, April 25, 2010

Size Obsession and Lint

Hi hi.. soooo lately I have been OBSESSED with the size of my locs. I stalk blogs and fotkis thinking "that's how I want mine!!" before proceeding to stand in front of the mirror and agonise about the state of the locs on my head. I have so few, thickness is a big worry for me. There is also the fact that locs thicken up over time; I think the size the locs are NOW is how I want them to eventually be. So what do I do? A veteran locker told me that the locs will swell up, hence the buds, and then eventually thin again, though she didn't say whether they thinned back to the original thickness or not. I'd imagine not? Oh lawd. Just a few days ago I took down two to resize them; one was big, the one next to it was small and it seemed so ridiculous that I made them roughly the same (The big one was budding which was a little disheartening to take down). But I have others like that; one on the left side of my head is big and surrounded by smaller ones. Which do I take down to add hair from the bigger one from? It's stressful. Talking to my sister right now, she expressed a thought that I have had from time to time. I should have gone to a professional (she says my locs look wonky...???). Looking at pictures with real parts and everything makes me feel this way. At the same time I'm just like whatever you know? They'll work out eventually. That's the hope anyway. It is just so FRUSTRATING!! I saw this picture online today from this website and nearly DIED from the shock of the sheer AWESOMENESS
Her hair has nice parts, the locs dont look too big or too small... I want that!!! All this locking being a chance to be free with your hair.. I'm not getting it at the moment. The only benefit is being able to wake up in the morning, spritz and run out. Everything else is just.... UGH!! 


Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the dreaded lint. When I took down the two to resize them, there was lint in them!! Like the tiny balls you get on clothes that have rubbed too much... I hope you understand. I mean it was only like two balls per loc and a few thin stray strands but still! Lint!! I was confused because when I take off my scarf in the morning, I'm running out of the door which means I'm already dressed and stuff. Then I remembered.. I wear a scarf when I put ON my clothes but not when I'm taking them OFF...aaaaaaaah. Lightbulb! So. I will start doing that now and hopefully it will help prevent futher lint getting into my hair. I can see a clarifying will be of great benefit when my locs are eventually mature enough to handle it. 


Today is the beginning of week 8. I mean, I don't really think I have that many original locs on my head since I keep taking them down to resize them but still.. yaaaaay for the few original ones!! Most of the others aren't too far behind.. I did most of the readjustments in month one; the ones I did last week were the only ones I've done in a while and I think will be the last. Another update next week to celebrate 2 months of locking. Toodles! (I should really stop saying toodles but it makes me laugh :-D)

7 comments:

  1. Hehe I had a size obsession as well. I started off with really tiny and skinny double strand twists, and combined all of them to have the thickness I wanted. It takes time to really "be free" with the locking process, since you are so early into your locking journey it is normal, but with time honestly things like parting, size, and perfection becomes a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaarrggghhh.. I hope so! I really want to get to the chillaxed stage where perfection is so not important coz this stage is totally not what I'm looking for. Got to remember to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a year it gets a bit easier. I recently stopped obsessing and now I'm just chill with my locs lol, esp. now since I'm freeforming. I think one of the reasons why I decided to freeform or not twist my hair so often anymore is because i got tired of obsessing over my hair! It got annoying after awhile for me lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. remember that however your locs are,they'll always look good.you may go from a love-hate relationship to a full blown season of loving your locs so don't give up just yet.When i feel discouraged i find things to keep inspiring me to not give up,you can too.Try to look at all the good times you have had and you'll see that it's really not that bad.Believe that your locs are beautiful and they will be beautiful(faith works wonders) but if you want to start again you can, it's your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. or you can try to fix the problems you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the feeling, I obsess to the point my daughter is like " mom come out your hair". Sigh, want to be free I told myself I wont resize another one

    ReplyDelete